Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy 80th Birthday, Dr. King!


Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's 80th birthday is January 15, 2009. It's hard to believe that he's not alive to witness Barack Obama become the 44th President of the United States, especially since he said that he'd traveled to the mountaintop and looked over into the Promised Land.


Carter Temple used to celebrate Dr. King's birthday with an event called the Dream Keeper's Workshop which taught children and kids his 10 Principles of Non-Violent Social Change.


The night before he died I remember seeing the news story of how Dr. King had delivered his “Mountain Top” speech. I have later memories of seeing him deliver the speech in its entirety in a documentary as well as reading the words. It was a very powerful speech and I encourage every young person to read what he had to say on the day before he died. After reading this speech I'm sure you will agree that Dr. King can never really die because he lives on in his words.

On April 3, 1968, Dr. King told a crowd at the Mason Temple Church of God in Christ:
“It really doesn’t matter what happens now…some began to talk of threats that were out—what would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers…Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place, but I’m not concerned about that now. I just want to do God’s will. And he’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over, and I’ve seen the Promised Land. And so I’m happy tonight. I’m not worried about anything. I’m not fearing any man. My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”


Happy Birthday, Dr. King!

No comments:

Post a Comment