Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sears Tower by any other Name...

When I first found out I shook all over. I just kept shaking my head from side to side in shock and utter disbelief. Finally, I rubbed my eyes to see if i were hallucinating or simply lacking comprehension of what I was reading. But alas, reliable news sources from the Chi-town, confiormed the devastating news--The Sears Tower is history. Gone. Kaput.L
Last Thursday, the tallest building in the United States, Chicago's Sears Tower disappeared from existance. Well, sorta. Willis Tower was introduced to Chicago by Mayor Richard M. Daley and others during a public renaming ceremony hosted by Willis Group Holdings, a British Company.
"It's always going to be the Sears Tower to me. I watched it being built from the ground up. I remember the feeling I had in the pit of my stomach the very first time I rode the elevator to the observation deck."
The 110-story skyscraper has been known as Sears Tower since it opened in 1973. Sears Roebuck and Co., moved out in 1992 but the name stayed.
The only way I could foresee calling this iconic landmark "Willis Tower" is it were named after my childhood friend, Jocelyn Willis or one of my favorite actors, Bruce Willis. In that case "Willis Tower" would be cool. Named after some anonymous British company makes the name change lame. hey, that rhymes!

No comments:

Post a Comment